http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081120/GJLIFESTYLES/811209906
In light of last week's Copyright lecture, I give you the following article.
Article Date: Thursday, November 20, 2008
"DOVER — Although our movie license restricts us from publicizing the title, the Dover Public Library will have a free showing of the recently-released Disney/Pixar animated film about a small waste-collecting robot who has an adventure in outer space. "In light of last week's Copyright lecture, I give you the following article.
Article Date: Thursday, November 20, 2008
There's another paragraph including time and place, but that's the bulk of the article right there. Too funny - they can get the public performance rights to the movie, but they are still not allowed to say its name. I guess that's one way of getting around copyright, although one could argue that they gave so much of the plot away that there's no other movie that it could possibly be. It makes me wonder just how legal that is.
Obviously, somebody told the library that they weren't allowed to name the movie that would be shown, but I would think that giving that much information would pretty much void that. The copyright guidelines I have state that the rights purchased with the public performance rights vary depending on who is selling them and how much the purchasers are willing to pay, so it's not a cut-and-dried issue, but by my thinking, I'd say that saying all but the name would be violating something, even if you did have the rights to the movie.
No comments:
Post a Comment